Sunday, December 16, 2012

D.I.Y. No. 2: Mason Jar SNOW GLOBES


 


This is definitely a gift that everyone is receiving this year. Anthropologie is selling snow globes that are almost identical to these for a whopping $40. I knew it was possible to make them for cheaper. So, I did just that.

Here's what you'll need:

snow globe D.I.Y.

one. mason jars (local grocery store) // $1 each
- this will act as your base. buy these in bulk - the more the merrier - 

two. bottle brush trees (Home Depot or Michael's) // $5.99 for assortment
- you can get these in any shape or size. I cut my down to fit the size mason jar -

three. salt (local grocery store) // $0.90
- sugar can work too, but I thought salt worked best. use a generous amount of salt to act as your snow-

four. styrofoam (mail center or your own home) // free!
- cut this off from old toy packaging or even hit up your local mail center for some leftovers. the styrofoam will act as your base for trees and snowman. you can also cut them into different sizes for different heights for your trees/snowman - 

five. glue & glitter (Michael's) // $3.00 for pack
- add the glitter to your salt for a more "shiny" effect. I found the silver worked best and add a little shine to the snow. the glue will be used to seal the mason jar lid - let it dry for sometime to avoid any loose snow -

six. pearls (Michael's) // $5.00
- obviously, the snowman is optional. I did a few with and without the snowman. should you use one, pearls worked very well to create the little man. I also used wire to put him together adding arms and legs -




There is a lot of free range here and a lot of room for fun and creativity.






Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment